Saturday, May 29, 2010

Clearing the long laziness in updating this blog…

The previous post was saved for months now so I decided to just press the publish button as I know I won't be changing that LoL. Since then a lot of weeks have gone by and of course lots of things happened. I'll just break things up into different section to make things easier.

Research Life
I'd submitted an abstract for the European Navigation Conference which will be held in Germany this year. Hope that my paper will get accepted so I have travel Germany. The journal paper that my co-supervisor, supervisor and me did finally got accepted in IEE, not a bad journal though. And it can be said to be my first journal haha which is not written by me. Writing journal is really… tough haha. Well someday which is not far away, I will have to write my own journal paper. Besides the ENC, I hope I'll be able to come out with an abstract for this year's GPS/GNSS 2010 which due on the 14th June 2010. The location of the conference is where always I hoped to visit… which is Taiwan hahahaha! Keep my fingers crossed that I have something interesting coming out for this conference. I got my US visa a few days ago and it was quick and efficient even thought every service needs money… but in the end the school will be the one paying for it so… none of my business lol. US here I come… uhmm in September haha

Non Uni
Still doing the things I like most… singing LOL. I tried on composing but I still can't seem to do a really good piece which I am proud of… well it takes time I know. Another interesting thing is that I joined TVB singing competition (Sydney Region) this year and get to go into the semis now. We just finished our third round of the Semis and everything has been going well so far. I sang 末日之戀 in the first audition round and I felt that I'm out of breath while singing it. I think it is because I'm too nervous haha. Being on stage performing and singing in a competition are totally two different things. You don't have to worry so much while performing but in the competition it's the result of either you are in or out that matters. The semi-finals contains 4 rounds- oldies (songs before year 2000),
fast song, duet and slow song.

I sang 認錯 for the oldies and the results given to me weren't that good. The judges commented that I easily sang that song and I should opt for more difficult song. Well, I can tell you that 認錯 is a tough song to sing. As for the fast song, I sang 編號89757 which is the song from my idol. I arranged a dance steps for this song and guess what, they do me good and I got the top 3 for the score. Comments from judges are about my breath as I'm out of breath while singing and dancing. Duet is an interesting round. I chose Candy as my duet partner. I met her during my first round of the competition. She was talking to a guy in the karaoke room and due to her accent which is the iconic "Asian-ic", I just can't resist asking her where she is from lol. And I'm right haha she's Singaporean and she has a very beautiful and powerful voice, totally KO me. Ok done with the introduction of my great duet partner. This duet journey is not easy. We were stuck with song selection at first. We tried to choose songs which are powerful so I suggested doing 一眼瞬間 but another problem came up. Whoops Candy hard a hard time following the harmony part for this song, so just 2 days before the competition we decided to change our song to 傳說 sung by Yoga and Jade. As Candy's weakness is doing harmony, we decided to reorganise the way we present this song. Candy will be doing all the lead vocal and I'll do all the harmony when we are singing together and it's the best match one can find haha. My voice, lacking of power, doing background harmony and Candy's powerful voice doing the lead. I was amazed by how our voices can hold together so elegantly as if it was me doing lead and Candy doing background (that's how the original track should sounds like) and most people are tricked today I guess haha. A third problem emerged just the day before our duet competition… my voice went missing! I don't know what happened but I just can't sing at all. All my voices are weak and I can't hit all the high notes that I wanted for the harmony part, nonetheless, Candy and her housemates are very helpful (I went to Candy's house for practice)! A great thanks to all of them. It was really a challenge for me as this is my first time having this kind of sore throat thingy for competition. I accept the challenge and was not feeling any stress at all due to this sore throat. So the next day, I warmed up my voice early in the morning for the competition. My voice has not recovered but at least I can still sing a bit. So with this voice, I head down for competition. I was a miracle that Candy and me get such a high mark for today's competition. I was hoping that I might be lucky if they give me 80 today cause my voice wasn't working properly. Thanks to Candy, we tricked everyone! hahaha. For the slow song competition which will be held on 14th June as well, I had chosen 世界唯一的你 by Gary. Hope that my voice can recover as soon as possible to tackle this tough song. :-)

Next on… BODHI NITE 2010 which will be the 30th anniversary of Unibuds will be held in the end of August this year. It is going to be big this year and all planning has just started to kick off. I'll be joining the choir, same as last year haha. For this year, Ervinda will be the head and Lillian Ong will be our assistant who will be in charge of performing and musical area while head being in charge of admin mostly. Joon Wayn and me will be helping them as their backup and co-co assistant for the choir. My job currently is to persuade potential people to join this year's choir haha! Come and Join US :-) we need you singers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment